Jackman & Kasody PLLC

You breathed a sigh of relief when your divorce was finally over. You survived all of the emotional upheavals, managed to divide all of the marital assets fairly and had a workable parenting plan and custody agreement -- or so you thought.

Now, you aren't so sure. Your children seem very unhappy when they come back from your ex-spouse's house and their behavior indicates that they're not thriving. Is that enough to get a judge to revisit the issue of custody?

Maybe. Generally speaking, children tend to go through a period of adjustment following a divorce. That may account for some of the problems. However, you might have reason to request a modification of custody if:

  • Your ex-spouse is abusive. This includes acting violently, making threats or heaping verbal abuse on the children or others.
  • Addiction may be an issue. If your ex-spouse has taken to drinking or started using drugs, that's a serious problem.
  • Your ex-spouse suddenly decides to relocate and wants to take your child with them.
  • Your ex-spouse doesn't show up on time for visitation, holds the kids past their return time and refuses to comply with other parts of the parenting plan.
  • Your child is adamant about not staying with your ex-spouse.
  • Your ex-spouse gets involved in a new relationship that's affecting their better judgment and you're concerned their new love is a bad influence on the kids.
  • Your ex is constantly denigrating you to the kids and you sense that they are being alienated.

It's hard to determine when you have a good case to request modification of child custody without some experienced advice. An attorney can help you look closely at the situation and decide what steps to take next.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Request A Free Initial Consultation

Contact Our Experienced Lawyers Today

  • Super Lawyer
  • Distinguished TM AV Lexis Nexis Martindale Hubbell Peer Review Rated For Ethical Standard And Legal Ability
  • MIPA

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Visit Our Office

Bingham Farms Office
30800 Telegraph Road, Suite 2715
Bingham Farms, MI 48025

Phone: 248-220-6963
Fax: 248-594-9909
Map & Directions

Northville Office
128 N. Center Street
Northville, MI 48168

Phone: 248-220-6963
Fax: 248-594-9909
Map & Directions